Mikel Arteta issues response to Antonio Conte’s ‘complaining’ dig ahead of Newcastle vs Arsenal

0
267
Mikel Arteta issues response to Antonio Conte's 'complaining' dig ahead of Newcastle vs Arsenal

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta has responded to Antonio Conte after the Tottenham manager’s ‘complaining’ dig. The top-four rivals battled it out last week in a fierce north London derby that saw the Lillywhites secure a dominant 3-0 win. However, it wasn’t without controversy.

Gunners supporters were incensed at Spurs’ first goal that saw Spurs awarded a penalty after Cedric Soares was adjudged to have fouled Son Heung-min in the box before Rob Holding eventually received his marching orders, causing a disgruntled Arteta to claim he would be banned for six months if he said how he really felt after the match.

Tottenham head coach Conte then criticised the Spaniard for complaining too much, saying: “I listened to him complain a lot.

Read more: Full Arsenal squad revealed for Newcastle clash as Mikel Arteta faces major Gabriel decision

“I think he has to focus more on his team and not to complain. He has to focus more on his work and be calm.

“He has to continue to work because he’s very good. But to hear a coach complain all the time is not good.”

Speaking ahead of tonight’s must-win clash against Newcastle United, Arteta responded to the former Chelsea boss in a defiant fashion. “What I have tried to do I think in three years here is not make any complaints,” the 40-year-old said when asked about Conte’s comments.

“I have no complaint and I didn’t complain on Thursday. I just said I could not give a clear assessment on what I thought about the game. And that’s it.

“Whatever we do we will try to defend the club in the right way like we have always tried to do. The other night I tried to do it as well.

“That was not trying to affect anybody. But I was being clear and honest. I think that is my job and my responsibility when I talk on behalf of the club to express how we feel. And if I cannot do it, I prefer not to.”

Source by Football London

READ ALSO:  Tottenham stance on Gabriel Jesus transfer bid as Arsenal lead race for Man City star

Leave a Reply