Metz President Bernard Serin has explained why Tottenham won the race for exciting young midfielder Pape Matar Sarr.
The 18-year-old joined the club in August but is currently spending one last season on loan with the Ligue 1 outfit before returning to north London to start his Spurs career.
Premier League rivals Aston Villa, Chelsea, Manchester United and Manchester City were all linked with the talented youngster, but Tottenham ended up securing his signature, largely thanks to the work of Fabio Paratici.
Now, Serin has explained why Spurs ’ offer for Sarr was so appealing to Metz.
“The cherry on top is that we can keep him for an extra year with us,” he told Graoully Mag on Moselle TV, via teamtalk.
“I was very attached to that idea because, in the end, with the matches being played in empty stadiums last year, the fans hadn’t seen him.
“Therefore, the fact of transferring him without the fans being given a chance to see him, that hurt me, and so I insisted to have him for a year and I’m very satisfied that we have him for 2021-22 season.”
Serin added that he would have liked to have kept Sarr for longer but the deal was good for both parties.
“Obviously, we always wish to get more. But he’s still a kid who has played very few games in Ligue 1, who turned 18 on September 14 2020, and we’re talking about a transfer when he’s not even 19.
“So, in the end, when I look at the transfer fee plus the bonuses that we can get when he plays for Spurs, I think we can be satisfied.”
Judging by Paratici’s own words, Tottenham fans should be excited about Sarr, as he has similar qualities to that of France star, Paul Pogba.
“I am told this guy is really more than an interesting talent. He is really potential, fantastic talent,” he said on his YouTube channel.
“One of my sources told me he could become one style of Pogba player. He has style, he has potential, he has skills, so we will see what happens with this guy.”
Source by Football London